We understand the complexity of code and policy as the most fundamental security problem shared by modern general-purpose operating systems. Because of high functional demands and dynamic workloads, however, this complexity cannot be avoided. But it can be organized. Genode is a novel OS architecture that is able to master complexity by applying a strict organizational structure to all software components including device drivers, system services, and applications. The Genode OS framework is the effort to advance the Genode OS architecture as a community-driven Open-Source project.
The book "Genode Foundations" describes the Genode OS Framework in a holistic and comprehensive way. It equips the reader with a thorough understanding of the architecture, assists developers with the explanation of the development environment and system configuration, and provides a look under the hood of the framework. Furthermore, it contains the specification of the framework's programming interface. Download the book as PDF
- Genode OS Framework release 16.05 May 27, 2016
- With version 16.05, the Genode API receives a fundamental revision. The list of further improvements ranges from the introduction of Rust, over improved GDB support, to a profound update of many device drivers and ACPI features.
- How Genode came to RISC-V Mar 22, 2016
- Our new article provides a look behind the scenes of porting Genode to the RISC-V hardware architecture.
- Genode OS Framework release 16.02 Feb 26, 2016
- Genode 16.02 introduces the RISC-V hardware architecture to the framework, enables the secure pass-through of USB devices to virtual machines, and updates the Muen separation kernel and the seL4 microkernel.
- Road Map for 2016 Jan 15, 2016
- We finalized the road map for 2016, which is primarily focused on extending the community of users.
- Genode at FOSDEM 2016 Jan 12, 2016
- There are four Genode-related talks scheduled at this year's FOSDEM, covering the USB Armory, seL4, the Nix package manager, and Genode as desktop OS.
- The story behind Genode's TrustZone demo on the USB Armory Dec 08, 2015
- Our latest article provides a look behind the scenes of the development of Genode's support for the USB Armory platform.