We understand the complexity of code and policy as the most fundamental security problem shared by modern general-purpose operating systems. Because of high functional demands and dynamic workloads, however, this complexity cannot be avoided. But it can be organized. Genode is a novel OS architecture that is able to master complexity by applying a strict organizational structure to all software components including device drivers, system services, and applications. The Genode OS framework is the effort to advance the Genode OS architecture as a community-driven Open-Source project.
The book "Genode Foundations" describes the Genode OS Framework in a holistic and comprehensive way. It equips the reader with a thorough understanding of the architecture, assists developers with the explanation of the development environment and system configuration, and provides a look under the hood of the framework. Furthermore, it contains the specification of the framework's programming interface. Download the book as PDF
- Road Map for 2016 Jan 15, 2016
- We finalized the road map for 2016, which is primarily focused on extending the community of users.
- Genode at FOSDEM 2016 Jan 12, 2016
- There are four Genode-related talks scheduled at this year's FOSDEM, covering the USB Armory, seL4, the Nix package manager, and Genode as desktop OS.
- The story behind Genode's TrustZone demo on the USB Armory Dec 08, 2015
- Our latest article provides a look behind the scenes of the development of Genode's support for the USB Armory platform.
- Genode OS Framework release 15.11 Nov 30, 2015
- The primary focus of version 15.11 is the use of Genode as a desktop OS. It vastly improves the GUI and audio stacks, features the port of Intel KMS from Linux, extends the support for the USB Armory and Xilinx Zynq-7000, and introduces new file-system infrastructure such as a VFS server.
- Genode OS Framework release 15.08 Aug 31, 2015
- Version 15.08 marks the starting point of Genode used as day-to-day operating system, which underlines the maturity and scalability of the framework. A further highlight is the ability to execute Genode on top of the Muen separation kernel.
- Genode OS Framework release 15.05 May 26, 2015
- For the first time, a Genode release is accompanied by a book. Further highlights of the current release are vast improvements of our base-hw kernel, preliminary support for the seL4 microkernel, new device-driver infrastructure, and plenty of new device drivers.